Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka, Bangladesh SAU was established as Bengal Agricultural Institute (BAI) on 11 December 1938 by Sher-e-Bangla A. K. Fazlul Huq, the chief minister of undivided Bengal. The Bengal Agricultural Institute was renamed East Pakistan Agricultural Institute in 1947. After the emergence of Bangladesh as an independent country in 1971, the name of the institute was spontaneously changed to Bangladesh Agricultural Institute (BAI). Since its inception in 1938, the BAI had been functioning as a Faculty of Agriculture under Dhaka University. After the establishment of Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU) at Mymensingh in 1961 its academic function was transferred to BAU in 1964 until its upgrade to Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University in 2001.
SAU became the 17th public university of the country in 2001. The Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University Act 2001 was passed in the Parliament of Bangladesh on 9 July. The foundation stone was laid by the then Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on 15 July 2001 and inaugurated the university activities through the appointment of the first vice-chancellor: Professor Md. Shadat Ulla.
SAU functioned as a university from 2001 with a single faculty: the Faculty of Agriculture following the issuance of a notification by the government as per requirement of the Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University Act 2001. On 22 June 2009, a bill was placed in the parliament to assign the president as chancellor. The Agribusiness Management , Animal Science & Veterinary Medicine and Fisheries and Aquaculture faculties started in 2007, 2012 and 2017. Nearly 5,700 graduates plus 600 postgraduates have been produced by the Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University. Presently about 3,300 undergraduate and postgraduate students are enrolled and are taught by faculty members.
- 1 Administrative building
- 3 Faculty building & complex
- 5 Halls for students
- Poultry farm
- Machinery farm
- Research field (Agronomy, Horticulture, Genetics and plant breeding, plant pathology, etc.)
- Moshjid (mosque)
- Cyber cafe
- Medical Center
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Agribusiness Management
- Faculty of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Institute of Seed Technology
The Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University has three halls for male and two for female students. Students either reside in or are attached to a hall of residence. A provost and an assistant provost looks after the administration of a hall.
- Sher-e-Bangla Hall
- Nabab Siraj-Ud-Doula Hall
- Kabi Kazi Nazrul Islam Hall
- Fazilatunnesa Mujib Hall
- Krishokrotno Sheikh Hasina Hall
Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University Library is in a separate three-storied building at the east wing of the administrative building. This library has a glorious history. It was established in 1938. Most probably, it is the first special library of Bangladesh.
The library has a collection of around 38,712 books (as of 31 December 2014) comprising the major subjects of agriculture and related subjects. It also collects popular national journals related to agriculture and a few international journals. Students and teachers can borrow books; they use its reference books/journals during the opening hours. The library has 24 administrative personnel. It has been providing Internet service facilities to its users.
Recently the library has interest in e-Resources. As a result, it subscribed to JSTOR, HINARI, AGORA, OARE, Oxford Scholarship Online, Pearsons and it has an institutional repository. The university has built a Digital Archive on Agricultural Theses and Journals (DAATJ) under the funding of UGC-HEQEP.
SAU at a Glance